Friday, April 15, 2005

bush, AOL and Censorship

For over 10 years I have used AOL as an ISP or as my favorite place to post messages on their boards. I remember paying a nickel per minute for access in the early days. Did I ever run up some bills back then! Sadly, today was the last day that my former screen name "m16eib" posted on AOL. Why, you ask?

Well, it all started several months ago when AOL implemented a policy of deleting messages on boards that it deemed as disruptive to the boards. AOL has changed it's policy from simply deleting offensive posts (IE: racist posts, name calling, swearing, and other "Terms Of Service" (TOS) violations) to a policy of deleting any posts it wants to.
Post an anti-bush news story - DELETED.
Post your thoughts about the GOP - DELETED.
Post anything that challenged one's mind to think - DELETED.

The new position of the AOL "Community Action Team" (CAT) is constantly being challenged by the AOL clients that are MAD AS HECK from post deletions and/or getting kicked off of AOL for expressing their oppinions and trying to enjoy freedom of speech. Today I suffered that fate for the last time. This censorship by Corporate America against any and all views that are against them and the bush administration that supports them through billion dollar Corporate Welfare is a sad statement on American society and politics in particular. I will still keep in contact with my buddies on AOL, but I will no longer attempt to feed the AOL beast that bites my hand.

The people on all sides of the issues on AOL message boards are all aghast at the censorship that is taking place. There are moderates from the left and right that are suffering this fate. The only faction that seems to enjoy immunity from the post deletions and being kicked off of AOL are the hard right wing supporters of failed bush policies. Why is that? I wonder?

This will be a topic that I will return to occasionally, but it will not be the only topic I will post on. It is just the one that I am most pissed about right now. For the time being I will stick to less volatile issues, like politics... lol

Life sucks... Too bad it doesn't swallow!

1 comment:

Connecticut Man1 said...

"Theedoorlord said...
AOL has invited us to this open forum to express our thoughts and remarks about the new events pertaining to the War In Iraq. But as many of us have found out they only want views that put Bush in a positive light. I for one cannot do that. Their is nothing that Bush has done in Iraq that is positive for us or the Iraqi people. Moreover,


It seems the AOL monitors are more important then their clients. One of our most treasured Posters (M16EIB) has been beheaded by AOL for posting the truths about this Tyrant that is controlling the Free Expression of Americans. I have already signed up with a new ISP myself and hope that after I'm settled in many of my friends that AOL no longer wants nor respects will follow suit.>

Thanks for the vote of confidence Thee... And I look forward to your Blogs on what the bush freak show is up to these days. Your first dozen AOL Blogs on the rev. Moon were interesting and informative. I will look for them when you start a new page."